Pre-operative instructions for surgery:
- Any patients under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the time of surgery
- Please wear loose fitting short sleeve shirt and comfortable clothing
- Please wear flat soled shoes with ankle support like sneakers (no high heels)
- Please remove contact lenses, all jewelry, and watches before surgery
- Please do not apply make-up, perfume or cologne on day of surgery
- Please remove fingernail polish on both index fingers
- Please brush your teeth and rinse thoroughly before surgery
- If prescribed medication at consultation, please take as directed prior to appointment. You may take this with no more than a teaspoon of water.
- Please have ice packs available at home after surgery to reduce swelling
- Please have Advil or Tylenol available for after surgery
- Alcoholic beverages should be avoided 24 hours before and 7 days after surgery
- Smoking must be avoided 24 hours before surgery and 24 hours after surgery
Patients having IV sedation:
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK 6 HOURS PRIOR TO SURGERY: including water and coffee. If you need to take medications please take them with no more than a teaspoon of water to swallow the pills. Any questions, please call our office. We reserve the right to cancel or postpone surgery if instructions are not followed.
- Please arrange for a ride to and from the office on the day of your surgery. Patient will not be able to drive home after surgery and operate machinery. PLEASE INFORM YOUR DRIVER THAT HE/SHE WILL NEED TO STAY IN THE RECEPTION ROOM DURING SURGERY. We suggest the driver bring some reading material.
- Please buy suggested foods to have on hand after your surgery. Please refer to recommendations on food list.
- Please have a responsible adult at home to care for you on the day of surgery.
PLEASE ARRIVE 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO SURGERY TIME TO TAKE CARE OF PAPERWORK AND FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS We Accept Cash, Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover & American Express.
Patients who are well prepared for their surgery usually have a smoother recovery. We advise the patient to plan ahead and buy some soft food items prior to surgery. The following are examples of soft food items:
Hearty Soups (cream of asparagus, lentil, minestrone, split pea)
Juice (cranberry, apple, grape) avoid citrus juice for a few days
Yogurt (soft or frozen)
Soft Fruit (banana, papaya, berries, canned peaches or pears)
Ice Cream & Milkshakes
Fresh Cooked Vegetables
Fruit Smoothies/Protein Shakes
Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat
Eggs (scrambled, soft boiled, omelettes, egg salad)
Pasta (plain or with sauce)
Fish (soft white fish, sole, trout, snapper)
Please avoid the following foods the first 7 days after surgery:
Foods that are difficult to chew
Popcorn & Chips (avoid for a month)
French bread loafs and Baguettes
On the day of surgery, begin with clear fluids (juice, broth, tea, Jell-O) and progress slowly to more substantial foods. Remember, it is important to maintain nutrition for optimal healing to occur.
Be sure to rest and take it easy for the first few days; rent a few movies (comedies) and have a relaxing recovery!